1. Grass, not the freshly-cut kind, but the kind that has been drying in the late-afternoon sun’s warmth.
2. The oily, herbaceous sweetness of rosehips decaying on the bush in the late summer.
3. The simultaneous hiss of the espresso machine with the dispersing earthy citrus-and-almond aroma of freshly-brewed coffee.
4. The round piano tones of Carole King’s album Tapestry, with its lyrics that softly enter your thoughts as if on stocking feet and make you take stock of your life.
5. Pouring more gravy over a cottage pie about halfway through and pausing for a few seconds before you continue eating.